Date(s) - 04/25/2018
9:00 am - 3:00 pm
Morris Union Jointure Commission
Isabel Machado, Esq.
Unfortunately, many students struggle with substance abuse. This already
complicated issue becomes even more so when the student is a classified
student with a disability. This inservice will focus on a district’s legal
obligation when students with drug and alcohol dependency have IEPs.
Participants will gain knowledge and skills in:
1. learning how to apply relevant policies and regulations,
2. understanding what due process needs to be afforded to both
general education and students with disabilities,
3. reviewing how the school’s drug and alcohol policy applies to
students with disabilities,
4. understanding when the drug or alcohol use is considered part of
the student’s disability,
5. knowing when a school can discipline and/or suspend a student
with disabilities for drug or alcohol use,
6. reviewing when a program and placement should encompass
treating the dependency,
7. learning how to handle students and parents who refuse to comply
with treatment recommendations.